Other benefits

New Style Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)

New Style Employment and Support Allowance is a benefit for people who cannot work due to an illness or health condition. You may be able to claim New Style ESA with, or instead of, Universal Credit, depending on your National Insurance record. However, your Universal Credit payment is reduced by the amount you get for New Style (ESA). You will need to be able to provide a fit note from your doctor to be able to make a claim.


How do I apply?

You can apply for New Style ESA online at www.gov.uk. If you cannot apply online, call the Jobcentre Plus new claims helpline on 0800 055 6688.


New Style Jobseeker’s Allowance (JSA)

New Style Jobseeker’s Allowance is an unemployment benefit to help cover your living costs while you’re looking for work. It’s based on your National Insurance contributions over the past two to three years and the length of time you can claim this benefit is limited to six months.


How do I apply?

You can apply online at www.apply-for-new-style-jsa.dwp.gov.uk. If you cannot use the online service, call the Jobcentre Plus new claims helpline on 0800 055 6688.


Personal Independence Payment (PIP)

Personal Independence Payment is a benefit for people who need help managing daily living activities and/or getting around. For example, difficulty with eating and drinking, dressing, or walking short distances. You can still claim PIP even if you’re working, have savings or are getting most other benefits.


How do I apply?

To start a claim, ring 0800 917 2222. You will be sent a self-assessment form and most people will attend a face-to-face assessment with a health professional.


Council Tax Reduction

Council Tax Reduction helps people on a low income, or who claim benefits. It can reduce the amount of council tax you have to pay each year and the amount you receive depends on your income and circumstances. It is shown as a discount on your Council Tax bill rather than being paid as a benefit.


How do I apply?

To claim, contact your local council.


Disability Living Allowance for children with health conditions or impairments

Did you know that you may be entitled to a higher payment of benefit if your child is awarded Disability Living Allowance (DLA) or their current award is reviewed and they are awarded a higher rate of DLA?


Examples of benefits that may increase are:

  • Universal Credit
  • Child Tax Credit
  • Housing Benefit


You may also be entitled to Carers Allowance and will be exempt from the ‘benefit cap’ which limits the amount of benefit payments a household can get. Your child getting DLA or an increased award won’t reduce any of your other benefits so it’s always best to ask what extra you’re entitled to.

As soon as you receive a decision letter, check who pays your benefits and contact them. Tell them you’re getting DLA for your child or their DLA award has increased and ask them what other help this entitles you to. It’s a good idea to have your decision letter handy when you call.


If you would like further guidance or support to do this, please get in touch with our Money Matters Team at [email protected].