Benefit cap

The benefit cap is a limit on the total amount of benefit you can receive. It applies to most people aged 16 or over who have not yet reached State Pension age.


The benefit cap increased in April 2023, the rates are:

  • £423.46 a week for couples, families, and lone parent claimants
  • £283.71 a week for single adults without children


Please note the cap will NOT affect you if any of the below apply:

  • You are of pensionable age
  • You are claiming disability benefits
  • You receive Universal Credit and you and your partner earn £722 or more a month combined after tax and National Insurance contributions


What incoming benefits does the cap take into account?

The following benefits taken into account include:

  • Child Benefit & Guardian's Allowance
  • Child Tax Credit
  • Universal Credit
  • Housing Benefit
  • Incapacity Benefit
  • Income Support
  • Jobseeker's Allowance
  • Employment and Support Allowance (except when in the support group)
  • Maternity Allowance
  • Severe Disablement Allowance
  • Widowed Parent's Allowance & Bereavement Allowance


Who could be exempt?

The cap will not apply if you, your partner or any children you are responsible for have been awarded any of the following:

  • Working Tax Credit
  • Carer's Allowance
  • Attendance Allowance
  • Disability Living Allowance
  • Personal Independence Payment
  • The support component of Employment and Support Allowance
  • Industrial Injuries Benefits (and equivalent payments as part of a war disablement pension or the Armed Forces Compensation Scheme)
  • War Widow's or War Widower's Pension


What does this mean to me?

You must pay the amount of rent that is not covered by Universal Credit or Housing Benefit direct to Saxon Weald. Rent is a priority outgoing and an important bill to pay first. Remember, your home is at risk if you do not pay your rent.


How will I know if the cap affects me?

The Department for Works & Pensions will advise you if you are affected by the Benefit Cap and the amount of Universal Credit or Housing Benefit you will lose. To calculate how the Benefit Cap will affect you head to:


If you are not entitled to one of the exemption benefits, you must find a job.


Please contact your work coach at Jobcentre Plus, who will help you look for work and help you get the skills you need to find a job. They can also support you to manage your money better and look at options for child care.


What help is available?

You can contact our Money Matters team for further advice at [email protected].


They may also be able to help you apply for a Discretionary Housing Payment, to cover a proportion of the amount of rent no longer being covered by Universal Credit or Housing Benefit. Please be aware that each application is considered on its own merit and even if an award is made, this will only offer temporary assistance.