Antisocial behaviour

We want you to enjoy living in your home and neighbourhood without interference and disturbance from others. Unfortunately even in the safest of neighbourhoods, antisocial behaviour can occur.

The below aims to outline what anti-social behaviour is and when you should report to us.

Antisocial behaviour

Antisocial behaviour can include:


  • Vandalism/property damage
  • Domestic abuse
  • Drugs/substance or alcohol misuse/suspected drug dealing
  • Harassment/verbal abuse/threats
  • Discriminatory harassment against race, gender, religion, age, sexual orientation, disability status
  • Physical violence
  • Unreasonable noise nuisance, including screaming and shouting/door slamming/loud music


It’s important to bear in mind that behaviours that appear anti-social may just be a result of differing lifestyles.


The following may not automatically be considered anti-social behaviour, unless it is excessive or consistent:


  • Children playing  
  • Poor property condition; internal and external
  • Rude gestures or staring
  • One-off parties
  • Dog fouling
  • Bonfires
  • Car parking
  • Dogs off their leash


Some behaviour may cause you and your family annoyance, however, cannot be dealt with by us as it does not constitute a breach of the tenancy agreement.


The following examples are not considered anti-social behaviour:


  • Crying babies
  • Cooking odours
  • DIY during sociable hours
  • Smoking within own property
  • General household noise
  • Social media disputes
  • Gossiping 


When the behaviour first occurs, it is good to make your neighbour aware it is causing a nuisance and let them know the impact it is having. However, we understand that in some circumstances this may not be possible, so do not put yourself at risk.


If you are experiencing issues with your neighbour, we politely request you consider the following before reporting to us:


  • Is the behaviour a one-off?
  • Are there factors in your life impacting your usual tolerance levels?
  • Is this something you can safely raise with your neighbours to make them aware?
  • Is the behaviour a result of being indoors for long periods?


If any of the above are contributing factors, then we politely request your patience on the matter.


Will you tell them that I have complained about them?


We won’t tell them without your permission, and if you would rather call us to make a complaint anonymously, you can but it will restrict the action we can take. We are unable to stop them from making their own assumptions regarding who raised the complaint.


Although it rarely happens, if the case does progress to court we would ask you to be a named witness. 


What should I do if I feel my personal safety is at risk?


If your personal safety or the safety of others could be at risk, you should call 101 or 999 in an emergency and seek police assistance. The police will then have a record of the event which they can share with us if necessary.


If your efforts of contacting your neighbour do not improve the situation, then you can report to us using your online account.


Domestic abuse

If you are experiencing domestic abuse, please tell us. You can call us, email or message us on social media, or we can arrange to meet you at home or another safe location. We will listen sensitively and respond promptly. We will work with appropriate organisations to provide alternative accommodation where it is unsafe for someone to return home. Or, we may provide additional security where this helps the person remain at home. We will always talk to the victim first about what action we can and will take against the perpetrator.

Remember, if your personal safety or the safety of others is at risk, you should call 101 (or 999 in an emergency) and seek police assistance. The police will then have a record of the event which they can share with us if necessary.


If you have any concerns, please visit our online services where you can report any issues or incidents.