We are proud to be supporting Gas Safety Week 2017, taking place 18- 24 September.
Gas Safety Week is an annual event to raise awareness of gas safety and the importance of taking care of your gas appliances. It is co-ordinated by Gas Safe Register, the official list of gas engineers.
Badly fitted and poorly serviced gas appliances can cause gas leaks, fires, explosions and carbon monoxide poisoning. Every year thousands of people across the UK are diagnosed with carbon monoxide poisoning. It is a highly poisonous gas. You can't see it, taste it or smell it, but it can kill quickly with no warning.
By taking care of your gas appliances properly, you are taking care of your home and your loved ones. Follow these few simple checks to keep you and your family safe.
- Check your Landlord's Gas Safety Record. By law, we must keep the gas appliances we supply in good condition. We arrange a gas safety check every 12 months and give you a record of that check. If you do not have a copy of your Landlord's Gas Safety Record (LGSR), please let us know.
- Keep your appointment - we'll send you an appointment for your annual safety check. Please make sure someone is available to let us in.
- Check any gas appliances you own every year. Gas appliances should be safety checked once a year and serviced regularly by a Gas Safe registered engineer. Set a reminder so you don't forget at www.staygassafe.co.uk.
- Check your engineer is Gas Safe registered. You can find and check an engineer at www.GasSafeRegister.co.uk or call 0800 408 5500.
- Check the engineer's Gas Safe Register ID card. Make sure they are qualified for the work you need doing. You can find this information on the back of the card. All our gas service operatives carry ID for you to check and they are ready for you to ask them for it.
- Check for warning signs your appliances aren't working correctly e.g. lazy yellow or orange flames instead of crisp blue ones, black marks on or around the appliance and too much condensation in the room. Contact us if you have any concerns.
- Know the six signs of carbon monoxide poisoning - headaches, dizziness, breathlessness, nausea, collapse and loss of consciousness.
- Have an audible carbon monoxide alarm fitted. This will alert you if there is carbon monoxide in your home.
For gas safety advice or to find and check an engineer visit the Gas Safe Register website at www.gassaferegister.co.uk. Alternatively call the free helpline on 0800 408 5500.